Sunday, February 24, 2008

Back to the Real World

Hi all,
I have returned from the American Birkebeiner Weekend in Hayward, WI. It was a pretty great weekend with perfect conditions for cross country skiing and for being a spectator at the events. My 7 year old nephew, Luke, did a 5K race and his 5 year old sister, Annika did a 2.5K race on Thursday and they both did fantastic--their parents used to walk along with them but this year they couldn't keep up running. The kids were all smiles as they crossed the finish line with Aunt Mary waiting there and cheering them on. Every kid that finishes the race gets a medal so it is fun for all--there were 1300 kids in race this year--amazing to watch.
Their parents competed in the actual American Birkebeiner on Saturday--it is a 51K race that starts in Cable, WI and finishes on the mainstreet of Hayward, WI. Once again the conditions were great and they both had a good race. The kids and I waited at the finish line and were able to see both of them finish. This race has over 4,000 participants with many world class elite skiers competing--it was really great to watch. My sister always worries about my experience and feels bad that I just come to babysit her kids but I have a great time with them and it is always a fun vacation for me--a great break from work and daily life.

While we were in Wisconsin, my parents were at my house. My Dad was back for his second round of chemotherapy. This time did not go so well for him as he was very nauseated for a couple days afterwards and couldn't eat. He has already lost a lot of weight so this is a concern for us. Our prayers right now are for his appetite to come back and for the next round of chemo to go more smoothly.

No news on the adoption front--just wanted to let you know how my weekend went.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm sending good, strong, hungry vibes your Dad's way.

-Suzanne

TanyaLea said...

Glad you were able to get away for a refreshing weekend. It was nice to finally escape our sub-zero temps! Sorry to hear your dad is struggling w/this round of chemo...will most definitely keep him in my prayers! Hang in there...all of you!! <><

~Tanya~

Kelly and Sne said...

How fun! I've always wanted to go to this event but the few years I lived in the area where too warm for much snow. THis year I think they have more than their share (more like the Winters I remember growing up in WISC).

Crossing my fingers for more news soon!

Karen said...

Hope your dad's appetite returns quickly—but I was glad to see that you were able to get away and have a fun break. You so deserve it.

You're in my thoughts and prayers,
Karen